Top 10 Dorm Essentials

Creator: svetikd | Credit: Getty Images

Determining what items are necessary for your dorm is essential to prepare for a successful college experience

Evelyn Alonso, Writer

Determining what items are necessary for your dorm is essential to prepare for a successful college experience. You first must have a clear understanding of the rules your college has in terms of college dorms. Although every school has its own rules, electrical cooking appliances are generally not allowed. Regardless, it is always important to check with your school’s Housing website. With that all in mind, here are the “AE News-approved”  Top 10 dorm essentials!

1.  Mattress Pad: Throughout all the articles researched, without a doubt, all these college students recommend a mattress pad or cover in order to make your bed more comfortable.
  2. Extension Cord and Power Strip: Many students tend to forget that in a dorm you will have typically at most 2 plugs, so having this item helps in terms of using your electronic appliances without the hassle.
  3. First-Aid Kit: Life happens, and sometimes you might need some!
  4. Handheld Vacuum: Having a small cordless vacuum can really come in handy in terms of not only providing more space, but also to be able to pick up crumbs and dust in hard to reach places.
  5. Shower shoes: Open-toe slide slippers are essential when using the shared showers in the dorms, just be sure to get a pair with grip, so you don’t slip in the shower!

Living in dorms can be a very exciting experience.
    Living in dorms can be a very exciting experience. (pexels-cottonbro-studio-)
  6. Command Hooks: Dorms will usually not allow you to use nails or permanently alter the room, so using these hooks is a great solution in order to decorate your room.
  7. Bed Risers: Dorms do not have much storage space, so creating as much as you can is always optimal. With bed risers, you can create extra room for additional storage of books, clothing, and other essentials.
  8. 10’ Phone Charger: These extra long phone chargers are optimal when you are on your dying phone and don’t want to get out of bed. They are also useful outside your dorm in classrooms and libraries where outlets are not as close to your desk.
  9. Foldable Lap Desk: Lap desks can be incredibly comfortable and useful when you are tired of sitting on your desk, especially foldable ones which help with storage space.
  10. Laundry bag: Don’t make your life harder by purchasing a laundry bag without wheels or straps! Be sure to purchase a durable one that is compact enough for your dorm, but with enough space to put all your clothes in.