Annemarie Randle-Trejo: Let’s Change Anaheim

Annemarie Randle-Trejo candidate for

Annemarie Randle-Trejo candidate for

Andrew Aquino, Author

Annemarie Randle-Trejo is a candidate running for Anaheim City Council to represent District 4. She was born in Los Angeles and is one of seven siblings. .   She attended public schools in Garden Grove, where she hung out at Glacier Falls Ice Arena in her free time. As a member of the Anaheim Union High Board of Trustees, she believes that she is qualified to represent District 4 in Anaheim City Council.

Annemarie Randle-Trejo’s career as a Board Member for AUHSD was a stepping stone for aiding students’ policy. Such aid comes with the program A.I.M.E. This program was created by former Anaheim Mayor Tom Tait with the focus of providing students in AUHSD with career mentoring experiences. Annemarie Randle-Trejo has been actively working in this program and believes that it is necessary to aid students from AUHSD to have bright futures.

Annemarie Randle-Trejo says she is running to solve the issues that have plagued the city of Anaheim. One subject is housing and security. “We have the highest percentage of renters in our District. The city is behind in offering low-income housing. Right now, I am told that there are 6,000 people on a waiting list for housing health,” says Annemarie Randle- Trejo. She blames short-term rentals as part of the problem, “Companies have homes in Anaheim and are buying off the homes. These entities have bought the homes and are using them for short term rentals.”  

COVID-19 has brought major issues to Anaheim, including the ability to purchase basic needs. Annemarie Randle-Trejo has tackled these issues alongside AUHSD, aiding families with food drives. Food has been given to families during the pandemic from Monday through Saturday. She is proud that  AUHSD was the first to create a COVID-19.  ¨There is no task force to even talk about a safety plan to open up Anaheim,¨ stated Annemarie Randle-Trejo. “Anaheim Union High School District started a task force in April. We decided we had to create a safety plan. I’m very disappointed that with all the resources they have in Anaheim(the city), they don’t have a safety plan of reopening.”  In response, AUHSD created its task force to help the community through COVID-19.  

Randle-Trejo says that because her father was black and her mother was white, she became very familiar with the ugliness of discrimination at an early age. Her life was plunged into the issues regarding race.  She believes that a Black Lives Matter policy will benefit Anaheim’s police and residents alike. “We have a task force that helps the African American community and those working in the police department. It means the world to them as they have a voice in the community,” stated Annemarie Randle-Trejo in response to her BLM policy. Annemarie Randle-Trejo understands the issues regarding the BLM movement and believes that equality is important to better Anaheim.

In terms of being the better candidate, Annemarie Randle-Trejo responded, “You have to be able to work with people. Having experience is also very important because working with the people in the council is not as easy as others think it is.” Working in the council is difficult for candidates, but for Annemarie Randle-Trejo, it is an opportunity. “It’s a craft. You need to have relational skills. These skills are what makes a leader, and I am that leader,” states Annemarie Randle-Trejo.

A candidate running for Anaheim City Council to represent District 4, Annemarie Randle-Trejo, believes that it is time to change Anaheim.