The Dangers of Ride Sharing

Credit to Dan Gold (@danielcgold) on Unsplash

Jasmine Sixtos, Reporter

On Friday, March 29th Samantha Josephson- a student from the University of  South Carolina- was abducted and found dead in Clarendon County due to “multiple sharp force injuries,” according to a coroner’s report.

Josephson was out with friends early Friday night and were separated soon after. At around 2 a.m. she called an Uber as she was intoxicated. Surveillance footage shows the 21 year-old student getting into a Chevy Impala outside a bar in Columbia’s Five Points entertainment; she believed the ride was her designated driver. Over 12 hours later, her corpse was found by turkey hunters in Clarendon County. Twenty four year-old Nathaniel Rowland has been charged in her murder as according to The State, “In announcing Rowland’s arrest Saturday evening, Columbia police said SLED agents found Josephson’s blood inside the car and trunk, along with her cellphone and cleaning supplies.”

As technology improves, many advancements are made and lifestyles are enhanced. While many view these changes as a good thing, often such changes make it easier for predators. Millennials often rely on companies such as Uber or Lyft and while the company is not to blame in this particular felony, it is important that the public be educated and begin to take safety precautions. The multi-billion dollar company has taken many actions to prevent the misconduct by updating their community guidelines and working with law enforcement, but it is now time for the public to become aware of the possible dangers.