Boys Soccer Hopes to Shine at Glover

AE News Staff

Han cambiado los dias de cuando se podian hacer las practicas juntos.

The Anaheim High School Boys’ Varsity Soccer Team hopes to make Glover Stadium their home for their games. The team is currently scheduled to play on the field at Anaheim High for the 2018-2019 school year, but want to exceed expectations by playing on a larger field.

Seating is one of the main issues with playing on the Anaheim field. Parents are left with the tedious task of bringing their own chairs from home if they do not want to stand through the entirety of a 95-minute game. Although the school sets up bleachers for spectators, the space provided is small and does not fit every guest. Only a limited number of students attending to watch the game are able to find a seat. This creates a problem, discouraging students from going to the game. With more seating, Glover attracts more students and parents to attend. Luis Sanchez, a senior on the team, thinks that the team plays better when their peers are at the games cheering them on: “I think we deserve an opportunity to compete at Glover, to give us a more competitive feeling. I think soccer would really pump up a crowd and it would pump our own soccer players, and motivate them to strive for a CIF ring this year.”

Last season, the boys had 14 wins, 6 losses, and tied twice. The team made it to CIF and won their first match against Trabuco Hills, scoring four goals while the opposing team scored two. Unfortunately, they lost 2-1 against Norte Vista in the following game. The last time the team won CIF was in 2014. The current team has confidence that they will make it far this year and follow in the same footsteps as the team in 2014. Their two goals consist of making it to CIF and being able to have their supporters cheer them on from bleachers at Glover Stadium.

The team’s first step is to set up meetings with administration and they hope to see changes before their first game in November. Sanchez says, ”We just want to play at a stadium we’d love to call our home.”