Netflix’s New Show Targeted for Fat Shaming: Insatiable

Karina Hernandez, Reporter

On August 10, 2018,  the TV show Insatiable was released on Netflix with a total of 12 episodes, each episode is a total of 50 minutes long.

The show focuses on Patty Bladell, a high school senior seeking revenge on her classmates. In the first few episodes, Patty is bullied on a daily basis by her classmates for being overweight and is portrayed as “ugly” because of her weight. During the summer, Patty loses a significant amount of weight and returns to school, shocking her classmates with her new “beautiful” appearance.

After the show aired on Netflix, it received a large wave of criticism by people claiming the show was “fat shaming”.  Many fans were disappointed in Debby Ryan, a former Disney star, for taking the role of Patty Bladell. Ryan responded to the criticism on an interview with Associated Press, “It was hurtful that people thought that we were doing it just as a joke.” She also took to Instagram to apologize to her fans and to encourage them to give the show a chance, “I hope my fans will wait and watch the show before passing judgment.” On the show, Debby Ryan’s character is only overweight in the first episode, with the TV show ultimately focusing on her determination to win the Miss America pageant.

Although the show’s producers and cast explained that the show did not intend to fat shame, a petition was created to cancel the TV show. The petition received a total of 235,631 signatures out of 300,000.

Petition to cancel the show

Although the show received backlash, the TV Show became a hit on Netflix and many fans of the show are awaiting Season 2.