Teachers Become Chefs During Mrs. Newman’s Cooking Contest

Image Credit: Melissa Rojas

Melissa Rojas, Reporter

On the afternoon of April 16, Mrs. Newman conducted a Teachers Cooking Contest wherein her students served as judges. A total of four teachers entered the contest and a total of twenty-two students were judges.
The dishes were divided into a sweet and savory category. In the savory category, students sampled Mr. Ayala’s spicy tuna dip and green chili enchiladas and Mrs. Shamrell’s mini shepherd’s pie and Italian sausage bites. In the sweets category, students tried Mrs. Shamrells “Colonist Cornbread Muffin”, Mrs. Driggers’ banana chocolate chip muffins, and Mrs. Reall’s orange cookies. The judges enjoyed the food so much that they soon after searched for a second plate of the spicy tuna dip.

Mrs. Newman explained that her reason for hosting these cooking contests is that she wants kids to be involved in fun experiences. By doing these contests, teachers have fun and have the opportunity as well to show their cooking skills; she rewards the winner with gift cards as prizes. Days after the judging, it was announced that Mrs. Shamrell’s shepherd’s pie won the appetizers category and best in show category. Mrs. Drigger’s banana chocolate chip muffins won the best dessert, and Mr. Ayala won the best dip with his Spicy Tuna Dip.
During the fall, Mrs. Newman also hosted a baking contest, and she has plans to continue to do so. She has been doing this for three years stating, “Everybody loves food of course,” this is an encouragement to keep doing this event.