Love is Love

Wendy Medina, Reporter

Wednesday, March 6th, the third day of Unity Week presented by Bridges, Project Say, and Anaheim Exclusivo brings awareness to the LGBTQ (Lesbain, Gays, Bisexual, Trans, and Queer/Questioning) community.

Over the past decade, LGBTQ support has grown massively.  Laws are being passed to protect LGBTQ rights and events that bring awareness to the LGBTQ community are being organized all across the nation. However, unfortunately, LGBTQ discrimination still exists today.

Coming out is a terrifying experience: the thought of rejection from family and friends scares many people. Here at Anaheim High School, a student who we will keep anonymous to respect his privacy shared how painful his mother’s rejection is. “Two days ago, my mother basically said she doesn’t support my relationship with my boyfriend.” He added that he felt a lot of pain, “and she doesn’t accept me and she wants me to change who I am.” He continued as he began to cry. He described how he overcame all the obstacles placed in front of him, “I just think to myself that this is who I am and whether people like it or not, it is something I cannot change about me.”

Many organizations, like GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network) a national education organization, are working to ensure safe and inclusive schools for all. In a study they found that:

• 85% of LGBT students have experienced verbal harassment
  • 58% of LGBT youth have felt unsafe at school due to their sexual orientation
  • 43% of LGBT have felt unsafe because of their gender identity

“Being gay you [sic] at least been called a faggot once in your lifetime,” said Victor Vega, an openly gay Anaheim student “but for me, it’s more than I could count. As I remember, I’ve been called many names since grade school.”

Enrique Esquivel also commented on the discrimination he felt in school, “I really struggled in elementary because kids were so mean and I had to go to a school where I would get bullied every day and go home to an abusive stepdad. So I always felt left out. “ He added, “I feel discrimination all the time… I usually get cat-called or people say something homophobic and it’s mostly at school.”

So, what can our schools do to ensure LGBTQ students are safe and feel appreciated?

First of all, Hosting events is a good way to start, like right now to bring awareness and let student knows they are appreciated. “The school should celebrate gay pride month and black history month … It’ll be dope if the school put up a rainbow flag somewhere around campus,” said Esquivel. He continued with, “Educate the ignorant people on why they shouldn’t be doing what they are doing … and if the staff notice something homophobic they should report the students because they never do.”

The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) club is a student-run organization here on campus. Its goal is to provide a safe place for students to meet, support each other, and talk about issues related to sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. “GSA is a safe space for kids who are LGBTQ and everyone is welcome,” said Mr. Kovac who co-advises GSA along with Ms. Metcalfe who said that GSA has a “really good group of kids this year, they are very inclusive and non-judgemental and try to get across the idea that everyone is welcome.” GSA meetings are every other Wednesday; contact Mr. Kovac and/ or Ms. Metcalfe for more information.