Fans Angered over Golden Globe Results

Karina Hernandez, Reporter

On January 6, 2018, the 76th Golden Globes took place in Beverly Hills, California. The show was hosted by Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh. Many popular celebrities made an appearance at the Golden Globes such as Anne Hathaway, Michael B. Jordan, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Jim Carrey, and many more.

Everything appeared to be perfectly normal until the winner for Best Drama Motion Picture was announced. The audience and fans around the world were shocked to discover that Bohemian Rhapsody had won Best Drama Motion Picture instead of A Star is Born. It had been predicted that the film, A Star is Born, directed by Bradley Cooper was going to break records by winning the movie’s 5 Golden Globe nominations based on its success.  However, out of their five nominations, A Star is Born only won one Golden Globe for Best Original Song. Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born) and Rami Malek ( Bohemian Rhapsody) were both nominated for Best Actor in Motion Picture Drama. Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated for only 2 Golden Globes; Rami Malek won Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama, and the movie won as well.  
The main reason the audience was shocked was due to the drastic difference in the movies’ ratings. A Star is Born received a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to Bohemian Rhapsody receiving a 62% rating. Aside from the rating, Bohemian Rhapsody made a significant amount more in the box office with a total of 748.3 million dollars compared to A Star is Born that made $398.4 million. Bohemian Rhapsody’s success has resulted in a sing-along version of the movie to come out in selected theaters.

There was a couple of different reactions towards Bohemian Rhapsody’s win, and A Star is Born’s loss. For example, Rio Becerra, the owner of the fanpage @kingothief, towards Bohemian Rhapsody winning Best Drama Motion Picture said, “So well deserved. Although many people had issues with the timeline etc., I think that the production was so well done. You can tell that plenty of work was put into making it authentic and keep to a movie production level and I think they hit it out of the ballpark: costumes, sets, soundtrack, actors. All amazingly done and you could see the dedication shine through in the film.” Becerra’s response towards fans that were upset about A Star is Born loss was, “If someone likes a film immensely, they wouldn’t want another to win. What I think they don’t understand or just didn’t have the knowledge of was all the hard work put into it compared to other films. Everyone in the production had to make sure this picture film was all it was cracked up to be. It’s a shame that people have to resort to outrage when their favourite film doesn’t win, but that’s the persona of most social media users nowadays.” Even Though there were positive reactions to Bohemian Rhapsody’s win, there was also negative reactions; for example, Viridiana Moralez, a student in Anaheim High School, “I didn’t like it. Bohemian Rhapsody was not what I had expected. It did not focus on the whole band; it just focused on Freddie Mercury and his coming out story. A Star is Born deserved to win because it was more emotional and a better story overall.”

Both films have been nominated for SAG awards on January 27, 2019, and Bafta awards on February 10, 2019.