Student Led Talent Show Highlights Anaheim Stars

Gabriela Gonzalez Navarro, Reporter

An entire student lead talent show was held in Cook Auditorium on Friday, November 30, 2018. Talent is Timeless was comprised of several acts which showcased the musical ability of our very own Anaheim students, such as singing, dancing, poetry, and playing instruments. Twenty-three students were willing to share their talents with their peers, friends, and family.

As the lights dimmed and the audience silenced their cellphones, the performers headed backstage to prepare for their time in the spotlight. The night began with a singing performance by Emily Herndon. She played her guitar as she sang “Death of a Bachelor” by Panic at the Disco. Michael Hernandez also played his guitar while singing “Time Has Come Again” by The Last Shadow Puppets. When Anaheim Exclusivo asked why he wanted to be a part of the talent show, Michael Hernandez said, “I was a part of the talent show because I have always dreamed of being a famous musician and playing on stage in front of people.” The two performances were followed by a dance routine. Mario Mendoza and Michael Ambriz performed a duet that displayed their dedication to the art of dance. Another dance followed, however, it differed from the previous dance performance as Karina Cuevas brought a baile Folklorico act to the stage. Cuevas stepped on stage with a pink traditional Folklorico dress and danced “Las Aguilillas”. The first act ended with a solo sang by Jessica Ocampo. Ocampo impressed the audience with her cover of “I don’t want to be you anymore” by Billie Eilish. With that, the fifteen-minute intermission began.

After intermission, Mario Mendoza performed a dance solo and incorporated the use of flashing lights that magnified Mendoza’s movements in a way that left the audience in awe. A duet that integrated dance and singing were performed by Michael Ambriz and Zulette Orduna who sang “Young and Beautiful” by Lana del Rey while Ambriz danced. Following this performance, Spencer Showkeir did a solo and sang “Say You Won’t Let Go” by  James Arthur. In the middle of his performance, Showkeir forgot a part of his song, but the audience was quick to react as they continued singing and Showkeir gathered his thoughts. The night ended with a rap duet by Dennis Delgadillo and Bryan Alvarez. Their stage names are Dope Dennis and Bobby B. and they rapped an original song called “Daydream”.  Delgadillo stated before his performance that Bryan and himself wanted to create “Relatable music for relatable people.”