Anaheim Exclusivo

Player’s Thoughts On Katella vs. Anaheim Football Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacqueline Vargas, Reporter

On Friday, October 25th, 2018, Katella overtook Anaheim with a strong defensive. Katella won its home game at Glover Stadium with a score of 38-0.

The long standing rivalry between the two teams encouraged many Colonists and Knights to go out and show their support for their school. Ticket selling stands were flooded with an excited public waiting to enter the stadium. Anaheim Exclusivo talked to a few members of the audience and they all claimed that it took them at least 20 minutes of standing in line before actually entering the stadium. Some even decided that it was worth entering after the first quarter, regardless, of arriving before 7pm.

No touchdowns were scored during the first quarter of the game, Anaheim’s wide receiver, Julian Ureño, asserted their “first quarter was their peak because [they] managed to hold up Katella’s offense” and as a result, the team was able to show Katella that “This wasn’t gonna be the ‘walk in the park’ that they expected it to be.” The team’s Captain, Guillermo Meza, agreed saying, “We played great all of the first half.”  

By the end of the first half, the score was 17-0, with Anaheim heading towards a loss. According to Guillermo Meza, Katella’s team made some adjustments during halftime that prepared them to be ready for “everything [Anaheim] threw at them.” At the third end of the third quarter, Katella’s victory was evident, the score being 31-0. Finally, the second half ended with Katella scoring a final touchdown giving them 7 more points. When AE News interviewed Riley Flenniken, Katella’s quarterback, he said he believed the second half “was [Katella’s] peak because [they] woke up after halftime and came out and executed everything they needed to.”

At the end of Flennikin’s and Ureño’s interviews, AE News asked them if they had any final thoughts about the game. Julian Ureño said, “All I have to say to my team is that despite this tough loss, I’m proud of what we have accomplished not as just a bunch of individuals, but what we have accomplished as a team. This past Thursday was the last time I’ll ever get to touch a football field and I’m proud to say that I got to play on the same field as my teammates for the last time. I want to thank them for making my past 4 years of football the best years of highschool. There’s not a thing I would change about my team and I wouldn’t want anybody else on the field with me as these guys. As for the underclassmen, I wish them nothing but the best and I do have hope for the future because I know they will accomplish great things.” Quarterback Riley Flenniken said, ”I’m proud of my brothers for playing their hearts out like they do every week and ending the regular season on a good note. Anaheim played a good game and it’s always fun to play in the rivalry game, there was a lot of energy in the stand and on the field.” Both teams worked hard this season and even though Anaheim did not get the outcome they wanted from Friday’s game, they are proud of each other for what they accomplished. Katella, on the other hand, qualified for CIF and will play Alta Loma on Friday, November 9th at 7:30pm.