The Good, the Bad, and the Football in All American

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacqueline Vargas, Reporter

On Wednesday, October 10, The CW released All American, an all new series centering on high school football player Spencer James who comes from a tough neighborhood. This series places an emphasis on the struggles of an African American student inspired by the events of Spencer Paysinger’s early life.

In All American, the protagonist played football for South Crenshaw High School in Compton until Coach Billy Baker recruits him to play for the Beverly Hills High School football team, an illegal move on his behalf. After agreeing to Coach Baker’s offer, Spencer moves in with the coach’s family to avoid getting benched for not having joined the team earlier in the season. The series follows Spencer and his teen struggles, including football, love, and teenage rivalries.

Although the show has just aired, there are obvious flaws that are arising. The show starts off with characters that intertwine suspiciously conveniently, making the encounters unrealistic and predictable. For example, when Spencer begins to fall in love with his classmate Lelia, who happens to be his nemesis’ girlfriend, it is painfully evident that an episode regarding a conflict with his love life will air. In addition, the lines and scenes are poorly written and cliche, with characters sounding as if their lines are forced and the writers are not up to date with teenage lingo.

Although the show is filled with cliches, it just might be worth the watch. The show was inspired by former NFL player Spencer Paysinger, who played as a linebacker. In his early career, he worked his way up to become captain of the Varsity football team of Beverly Hills High School, playing as linebacker and wide receiver. All American is a show with fictional character names, but the storyline is very similar to the the struggles Paysinger faced in his life; however, the series doesn’t stop there. All American places an emphasis on bullying, classism, and racism to effectively demonstrate what others in the football industry have gone through to get to the top. Overall, All American may not be for everyone, but for football fans, it may just be a perfect touchdown.

Rating: 7/10 Footballs  

Next episode airs on Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9/8c on CW.